manicdanie

BookWormed

I love reading books from many different genres.

Black Dahlia Avenger: A Genius for Murder
Steve Hodel
Devil's Knot: The True Story of the West Memphis Three
Mara Leveritt
SPOILER ALERT!

READ: October 20, 2013; Divergent: Book 3 Allegiant (2013) by Veronica Roth

Allegiant  - Veronica Roth

I liked the first two in the Trilogy. I don't know what I hated more about this book. Was it the sloppy explanation of what was beyond the fence? The over complication of Genetically Pure people and Genetically Damaged people? Maybe this complication could have worked had the author thought out the plot, story continuity, and scenario fully. Instead we were given this ridiculous ending to what had been a really good book series. The sex scene between Tris and Four read like a horrible True Romance magazine. Characters like Four's mother suddenly changed her entire character for her son's love. If it had been that simple, why didn't she kidnap him from his abusive father? What is worse, being factionless or being tortured? Then Four's father just leaves even though he has a history of being an aggressive tyrant in his home and love of power in the public? It seemed as if the author was sloppily trying to tie up lose ends. Nothing compares to the end. I could have withstood Tris dying. I expected it from the moment I began to read TWO perspectives in the book. I knew for certain she was dying after her and Four had sex. It just doesn't tend to happen in YA books. For them to allow her to put in one of the worst written romantic love making scenes I've ever had the misfortune to read, I knew the main character Tris was dead. However what stunned me was the undignified manner in which it happened. For crying out loud the sex scene had more poise in its thought and writing. I think at times the author highlighted how the three books took place in a short space of time. It wasn't the lead up for years or even one whole year. At the end of this story we had a 16 year old girl in terrible grief over her parents dying by protecting her (a noble, good and generally right thing for any parent to do for any of their children) and then the loss of her last remaining living family member--her brother through his base treachery (THAT WAS NEVER ADEQUATELY EXPLAINED TO MAKE HIM IN ANY FORM FORGIVABLE OR REDEEMABLE A FIGURE. ALL HE COULD DO WAS OFFER THAT THE LEADER OF ERUDITE WAS CONVINCINGLY MANIPULATIVE. I'm reaching for manipulative because he never explains exactly what on earth that woman could have told him to make him betray his entire family and his values for her cause.) was in a way lost to her as well. In the short space of time the story takes place Tris is always a 16 year old girl. In the armed conflicts in her home she loses nearly everyone she ever cared about. The author of this book tries to make Tris' final act a graceful stroke of self sacrifice like her parents did for her. I'm sorry if I read a young 16 year old rationalizing her suicidal wishes. At the end she was a 16 year old GIRL who was in terrible grief for her tremendous losses. Instead of making her end fit the spirit I loved in Tris in the first two books we see the same scenario she was supposed to 'grown from' play out as she martyrs herself. Nothing about that is okay with me. I think the woman who wrote Divergent and Insurgent could have written a better book to end Tris' story. Tris could have died a number of ways, but why did she die in the one way where it showed her character had zero growth throughout the series? As someone with Bipolar I who has tried to commit suicide and lived to tell the tale (luckily) when I was 19 years old I was offended at first by the fatalism in Tris' character. I was a child when I began to have suicidal ideations. I only got caught when I was very close to successful. I am thankful EVERY SINGLE DAY I was saved. My mother was dying. My father was mentally gone. I understand the grief of adoloscent girls intimately. To honor the ones who passed on you don't do something fatal. You honor their sacrafice by living, and living well with honor. So the rationalization for Tris' death makes sense only if she lied to Four. Only if she lied to him about her love. About living for him. The fact that the author herself lost sight that she was writing the story of a 16 year old girl in a dystopian world is troubling. Tris had gifts but wasn't an adult super soldier. The ending was ridiculous with no real meaning. Tris deserved a death that expressed meaning, growth, the love she had for FOUR. Instead we had her doing the same thing she did in the previous two books. In the end Tris Prior died for nothing. The irony is the corny message from the author to 'mend each other' through our social relationships. She can write this when her own main character didn't have the will power to do that! In my opinion this hypocrisy is what makes her death meaningless. And it is a shame--the first two books were really good in my opinion. I wonder if the author was rushed to publish? Or was she so arrogant that anyone who tried to address these issues were shot down by her hubris? This book is an example of how good editors are crucial to a successful book. If only to be a spare pair of eyes. Something went badly wrong and this book feels like the rough draft that got published without any of the major story issues being ironed out.

“And I don't want to die anymore. I am up to the challenge of bearing the guilt and the grief, up to facing the difficulties that life has put in my path. Some days are harder than others, but I am ready to live each one of the. I can't sacrifice myself, this time.”
- Tris

But we learn that Tris isn't true to her word. Nor is she consistent with ANY growth. It is sad. If Tris would have died in a way where she wasn't PURPOSEFULLY sacrificing her promises, supposed character growth, and loving future with Four along with the friends she could help mend through the grief of many, many characters!!!